I have a bad egg white allergy. Up until two years ago, I wouldn’t go near an egg in any form. After a bit of experimenting, thanks to my wife’s inspiration, I discovered that yolks are delicious and don’t make me break out into hives.
I’m making some yolk “cakes” tomorrow, so I thought I’d share my recipe with you. Depending how hungry I am, I’ll make anywhere from three to seven of these cakes preferably with bacon.
- Carefully separate the yolks from the whites and put the yolks in a bowl. Be careful not to break the yolks.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan at medium heat.
- With a normal tablespoon, gently spoon the egg yolks, one at a time, into the pan.
- Cook for two or three minutes.
- Gently flip the yolks. N.B., I tend to slide the yolks to the edge of the pan, tip the pan slightly and flip the yolks that way.
- Cook for a minute.
- Serve with a half-teaspoon of ketchup or several dashes of tabasco.